I was on a bus, not too unusual right?  Well the thing was, I was in GERMANY!  This was my first experience ever leaving American soil and I was thrilled to be here. The only bad part was how cramped I was beginning to feel on this bus.

Twenty minutes or so later, I had finally reached my destination, Durbach, Germany.  I quickly got off of the uncomfortable and cramped bus, ready to finally meet these people who would be taking me in.  I was greeted by a mother, father, and son, who was about my age.  They were very kind and introduced themselves to me with surprisingly spot-on English. I hopped into their mid-sized Volkswagen, and about fifteen minutes later we reached their home. I was grateful to finally be in an open space.

Waldamer, a rather short and Mikes1balding man, was the father, and Lucas was the short in-shape son with blond hair. They showed me around the beautiful two story house that I would be calling mine for the next couple of days, and Lucille, the tall blonde mother, soon had dinner prepared. We all sat at the dinner table and began eating.

“How is school going?” Waldamer asked.

“It’s okay,” I responded.

“What do you want to do when you are here?” Lucille chimed in.

“I’m very interested in seeing some of the sights,” I said.

I then dug into the chicken nuggets and French fries that they had prepared for me so that they would not assault my taste buds on my first night in Germany.  General conversation like that ensued for about ten minutes or so. Then all of a sudden they switched over to German.  At this point, I didn’t know a single word in German so I was left sitting there not really knowing what to do.  I then began to panic and asked myself if this is how the whole German experience would turn out to be.

A bit flustered, I excused myself from dinner, announcing that I would be going to sleep because I was worn out from all of the travelling.  I went to my room and was passed out in seconds.

I awoke and it was as if the awkwardness had been swept away.  I would only be in Germany for a couple more days so I was going to make the most of them no matter what.

We began day one by going to a castle Mikes2that stood atop a hill on the outskirts of Durbach. Waldamer, Lucas, and I entered the elegant cobblestone building and were soon standing on top of the walls that surrounded it. Along the hilltops were rows and rows of vineyards as far as the eye could see. The vineyards stretched on for miles, and each one seemed to be reaching around for something their lengthy vines could wrap around while the bright green assaulted the eyes of any onlooker.

Later that day, we traveled to a small town in France. There I saw the biggest cathedral I had ever seen in my life. As we were approaching, I leaned my head back as far as it would go. I could barely make out the spires reaching for the bright blue sky as the mountainous gargoyles looked down upon me. We then entered the church. The light leapt through the colored glass, leaving me with a feeling of awe.

After the trip to the immense French church, we headed back to my German home.   We all headed out back and Waldamer fired up the grill.

“Are you ready to eat some real German food?” he asked.

“I guess so,” I replied.

“Well, tonight we are going to make Drei im Weggla,” he said.

“Drei what?” I asked.

“German Sausage. You’ll like it, don’t worry,” he said.

Dinner was soon prepared. It was three Thüringer sausages in a bun with cheese on top, with sauerkraut and potatoes. This wonderful cookout filled me up and I was soon lying in bed awaiting my last day in Germany.

The final day, I attended a German school.  My day was extremely relaxing because the first class was English followed by a double period of Gym before early dismissal. I taught the whole gym class to play American football. I taught them how to throw the ball, and when I told them to pick it up with their hands they all looked at me like I was crazy because you couldn’t do such a thing in soccer unless you were the goalie.

After the general instruction was complete, we began to play an hour-long game of two-handed touch football.  The game was extremely close and the team that I was on ended up losing in the end. However, that did not matter to me because I was able to teach these guys a game that they would be able to enjoy for the rest of their lives and watch their reactions and dances after making a great play or scoring a touchdown.

After school, all that was left was the final farewell to my German family and friends.  I left the school and Germany, knowing that I had just taken part in the most amazing experiences a person could ask for.